M.D., Ph.D. Professor Minoru Suzuki
Boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) has a unique feature which can deliver tumor-cell selective heavy-particle irradiation (Fig.1). At our institute, clinical studies on BNCT for malignant glioma and head and neck cancers using an accelerator based BNCT (Fig.2) have been carried out since 2012. The mission of our division is to carry out preclinical BNCT studies and to apply tumor-cell selective heavy-particle irradiation to radiation biology studies.
Research and Education
The main research subjects are as follows;
- Preclinical BNCT studies
- Research on effect of BNCT for normal organs or tissues.
- Research on development of new BNCT drugs in concert with other laboratories.
- Research on combination of BNCT and immunotherapy
- Research on radiation biology studies using boron neutron capture irradiation.
- Preclinical research on BNCT for companion animals
- Research on gadolinium-neutron capture therapy (Gd-NCT)
- Hiroki Ueda, Minoru Suzuki, Yoshinori Sakurai, Tomohiro Tanaka, and Shin Aoki.
Design, Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Boron-Containing Macrocyclic Polyamine Dimers and Their Zinc(Ⅱ) Complexes for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy.
European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, e202100949 (2022)
- Hideki Kashiwagi, Shinji Kawabata, Kohei Yoshimura, Yusuke Fukuo, Takuya Kanemitsu, Koji Takeuchi, Ryo Hiramatsu, Kai Nishimura, Kazuki Kawai, Takushi Takata, Hiroki Tanaka, Tsubasa Watanabe, Minoru Suzuki, Shin-Ichi Miyatake, Hiroyuki Nakamura, Masahiko Wanibuchi
Boron neutron capture therapy using dodecaborated albumin conjugates with maleimide is effective in a rat glioma model.
Investigational new drugs, 40.255-264(2022)
- Masahiro Nishikawa, Heon Gyu Kang, Yajuan Zou, Hidekazu Takeuchi, Naoyoshi Matsuno, Minoru Suzuki, Naoki Komatsu.
Conjugation of Phenylboronic Acid Moiety through Multistep Organic Transformations on Nanodiamond Surface for an Anticancer Nanodrug for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy.
Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan 94(9) 2302-2312 (2021)
- Takahiro Nomoto, Ying Yao, Yukiya Inoue, Minoru Suzuki, Kaito Kanamori, Hiroyasu Takemoto, Keishiro Tomoda, Nobuhiro Nishiyama.
Fructose-functionalized polymers to enhance therapeutic potential of p-boronophenylalanine for neutron capture therapy.
Journal of Controlled Release, Volume 332, 10 , Pages 184-193 (2021)
- Minoru Suzuki. Boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT): a unique role in radiotherapy with a view to entering the accelerator-based BNCT era. International journal of clinical oncology 25(1) 43 – 50, （2020）
Professor：Minoru Suzuki, M.D. Ph.D.
Assistant Professor：Natsuko Kondo
Program-Specific Assistant Professor：
Yuki Tamari, Naonori Ko, Yusuke Wada