M.D., Ph.D. Professor Shuichi Matsuda
We, orthopaedic surgeons, treat patients who suffer diseases and injuries in the musculo-skeletal system. Most of the people experience knee, shoulder, or low back pain in a lifetime. Femoral or vertebral fracture is the second popular cause that leads the elderly people to become bedridden. We believe that overcoming functional disability of the musculo-skeletal system contributes not only to the happiness of an individual patient but also to the welfare of our whole society. We aim for all people moving their body without difficulties throughout their life.
Research and Education
Biomaterial group has developed many orthopaedic implants, especially bioactive ones, some of which have been applied clinically, and is vigorously developing bioactive and antibacterial metal implants. Biomechanics group is developing a new knee prosthesis using computer simulation technology and analyzing spine biomechanics. Tumor group is researching on molecular mechanisms of generation of bone and soft tissue tumor and its application to clinical cases. Regenerative therapy for damaged musculoskeletal tissue is being advanced by collaboration with Center for iPS Cell Research and Application, and the clinical trial of cartilage regenerative therapy with iPS cell technology for knee cartilage injuries is now under preparation. Cartilage metabolism/rheumatology group is experimentally investigating the mechanisms of joint destruction in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and developing novel therapies by collaboration with other departments and institutes. Peripheral nerve group is working on the nerve regeneration, trying to apply the method for treating nerve degeneration and injury.
- Wear resistance of first-generation highly cross-linked annealed polyethylene in cementless total hip arthroplasty is maintained 20 years after surgery. Orita K, Goto K, Kuroda Y, Kawai T, Okuzu Y, Matsuda S.Bone Joint J. 2022 Feb;104-B(2):200-205.
- Analysis of the Factors Affecting Lumbar Segmental Lordosis After Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion. Otsuki B, Fujibayashi S, Takemoto M, Kimura H, Shimizu T, Murata K, Matsuda S. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2020 Jul 15;45(14):E839-E846.
- Excessive flexed position of the femoral component was associated with poor new Knee Society Score after total knee arthroplasty with the Bi-Surface knee prosthesis. Nishitani K, Kuriyama S, Nakamura S, Umatani N, Ito H, Matsuda S. Bone Joint J. 2020 Jun;102-B(6_Supple_A):36-42.
- A scaffold-free Bio 3D nerve conduit for repair of a 10-mm peripheral nerve defect in the rats. Takeuchi H, Ikeguchi R, Aoyama T, Oda H, Yurie H, Mitsuzawa S, Tanaka M, Ohta S, Akieda S, Miyazaki Y, Nakayama K, Matsuda S. Microsurgery. 2020 Feb;40(2):207-216.
- Reconstruction with β-tricalcium phosphate for giant cell tumor of the talus. Sakamoto A, Okamoto T, Matsuda S. Foot (Edinb). 2020 Mar;42:101643.
Professor ： Shuichi Matsuda
Associate Professor ： Koji Goto
Senior Lecturer ： Akio Sakamoto, Bungo Otsuki, Yutaka Kuroda
Assistant Professor ： Shinichi Kuriyama, Toshiyuki Kawai, Takashi Noguchi, Takayoshi Shimizu,Yaichiro Okuzu
[Department of Musculoskeletal Reconstruction(Endowed Chair)]
Program-Specific Professor ： Shunsuke Fujibayashi
Program-Specific Assistant Professor ： Shinichiro Nakamura, Kohei Nishitani
[Department of Advanced Medicine for Rheumatic Diseases (Endowed Chair)]
Program-Specific Assistant Professor ： Koichi Murata, Takayuki Fujii
Associate Professor ： Ryosuke Ikeguchi