Shiro Tanaka, Ph.D., Program-specific Professor
Health technologies such as drugs should be assessed for efficacy and safety before applied to clinical practice through clinical trials, which require involvement of statisticians who have expertise in biostatistics. Clinical Biostatistics is a discipline on the statistical methodology in clinical trials such as study design and statistical analysis of clinical trial data.
Clinical Biostatistics Course is a course on biostatistics conducted by Department of Clinical Biostatistics and Department of Biostatistics. This course is intended for graduates from any fields, i.e. mathematics, physics, economics, life science and medicine. Medical knowledge is not a prerequisite.
Research and EducationClinical Biostatistics Course is a two-year Professional Degree Course (=master course) established in Kyoto University School of Public health (SPH). Master of Public Health (MPH [professional degree]) will be awarded in completing the course. This course provides students with, not only mandatory subjects such as basic statistics and clinical biostatistics classes, but also on-the-job training at Kyoto University Hospital and National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center which gives students opportunities to experience the practice of academic clinical trials. This course is funded by the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED).
< Research and development >
1.Develop an educational program for Clinical Biostatistics Course
2.Open attendance courses
・Biostatistics for clinical researchers (seminars at hospitals)
・Introduction to statistics for undergraduate students (E-learning contents for Open Course Ware )
3.Statistical analysis of medical and health database
4.Statistical methods for missing data in clinical trials
- Imai T, Tanaka S, Kawakami K. Exploratory assessment of treatment-dependent random-effects distribution using gradient functions. Stat Med 2021;40(2):226-39
- Moritake H, Tanaka S, Miyamura T, Nakayama H, Shiba N, Shimada A, Terui K, Yuza Y, Koh K, Goto H, Kakuda H, Saito A, Hasegawa D, Iwamoto S, Taga T, Adachi S, Tomizawa D. The outcomes of relapsed acute myeloid leukemia in children: Results from the Japanese Pediatric Leukemia/Lymphoma Study Group AML-05R study. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2021;68(1):e28736
- Taga T, Tanaka S, Hasegawa D, Terui K, Toki T, Iwamoto S, Hiramatsu H, Miyamura T, Hashii Y, Moritake H, Nakayama H, Takahashi H, Shimada A, Taki T, Ito E, Hama A, Ito M, Koh K, Hasegawa D, Saito AM, Adachi S, Tomizawa D. Post-induction MRD by FCM and GATA1-PCR are significant prognostic factors for myeloid leukemia of Down syndrome. Leukemia 2021, in press
- Tanaka S, Brookhart MA, Fine JP. G-estimation of structural nested mean models for competing risks data using pseudo-observations. Biostatistics 2020;21(4):860-75
- Tanaka S, Matsuyama Y. Ohashi Y. Validation of surrogate endpoints in cancer clinical trials via principal stratification with an application to a prostate cancer trial. Stat Med 2017;36(19):2963-77
Department of Clinical Biostatistics/Clinical Biostatistics CourseProgram-specific Professor：Shiro Tanaka
Program-specific Senior Lecturer：Shinjo Yada
Program-specific Assistant Professor：Toru Imai
Program-specific Assistant Professor：Masatomo Omiya