Hirohide Saito, Ph.D. Professor
RNA-Protein (RNP) complex plays a central role in gene expression by controlling translation, transcription, RNA processing, and so on.
Then, we came up with the idea that understanding of the necessary factors to form the RNP such as RNA sequences and structures would enable us to artificially create RNP complexes to control molecular mechanisms and cell-fates.
With this idea of synthetic biology, we are working on elucidating the programming mechanism of cells and controlling cell-fate precisely through the development of new technologies to understand, control and create RNP-based life systems.
Research and EducationOur group is focusing on the synthetic biological approaches based on RNA and RNP.
By utilizing cell type-specific RNA and protein markers, we are working on the following themes in order to develop technologies that control molecular mechanisms specific to target cells and apply them to medical research.
(1-A) Construction of artificial RNA systems which detect intracellular information and regulate cell-fate.
(1-B) Development of RNA switch technologies that safely and precisely identify and recognize the target cells.
(1-C) Construction of RNP nanostructures functioning in cells and realizing RNP spatiotemporal control
In addition, we are engaging in the following themes in order to elucidate and control the molecular systems in the cell controlled by RNA and RNP.
(2-A) Understanding of the molecular mechanism of post-transcriptional regulation in cell programming
(2-B) Development of new technologies for comprehensive analysis of RNA-protein interaction.
In our group, each graduate student will work on original research theme and acquire the skills and knowledge of synthetic biology, molecular biology, cell engineering.
- MicroRNA-302 switch to identify and eliminate undifferentiatedls human pluripotent stem cells Scientific Reports, 6:32532, (2016) Callum J.C Parr, Shota Katayama, Kenji Miki, Yi Kuang, Yoshinori Yoshida, Asuka Morizane, Jun Takahashi, Shinya Yamanaka, and *Hirohide Saito
- High-resolution Identification and Separation of Living Cell Types by Multiple microRNA-responsive Synthetic mRNAs. Scientific Reports, 6:21991 (2016)Kei Endo, Karin Hayashi, & *Hirohide Saito
- Mammalian synthetic circuits with RNA binding proteins for RNA-only delivery Nature Biotechnology 33:839-841 (2015)Wroblewska L, Kitada T, Endo K, Siciliano V, Stillo B, *Saito H, *Weiss R
- Efficient Detection and Purification of Cell Populations Using Synthetic MicroRNA Switches Cell Stem Cell. 4;16(6):699-711 (2015) Kenji Miki, Kei Endo,Seiya Takahashi, Shunsuke Funakoshi, Ikue Takei, Shota Katayama, Taro Toyoda, Maki Kotaka, Tadashi Takaki, Masayuki Umeda, Chikako Okubo, Misato Nishikawa, Akiko Oishi, Megumi Narita, Ito Miyashita, Kanako Asano, Karin Hayashi, Kenji Osafune, Shinya Yamanaka, *Hirohide Saito, and *Yoshinori Yoshida
- Synthetic RNA-protein complex shaped like an equilateral triangl Nature Nanotechnology, 6: 116-120 (2011) Hirohisa Ohno, Tetsuhiro Kobayashi, Rinko Kabata, Kei Endo, Takuma Iwasa, Shige Yoshimura, Kunio Takeyasu, Tan Inoue*, and Hirohide Saito*
Molecular and Cellular PhysiologyProfessor：Hirohide Saito