Development of new medicine toward neurodegenerative diseases based on pathomechanistic insight explored by iPS cell technology.
Research and EducationMolecular-biological analyses are advancing our understanding of intractable neurodegenerative diseases including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and Alzheimer’s disease, but radical care is still to be established.
We aim to use stem cell technology to develop drug discovery platforms, transplantation therapies, and precision medicine for intractable neurodegenerative diseases, to understand the human neurological system, to elucidate pathological conditions, and ultimately to translate these findings into clinical practice. In other words, our research themes are “From bedside to dish” and “from dish to bedside”.
iPS cells derived from an ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) patient
Inclusion body in ALS spinal motor neuron
(Credit: Dr. Hidefumi Ito, Department of Neurology,
Wakayama Medical University)
- Kondo T, Banno H, Okunomiya T, Amino Y, Endo K, Nakakura A, Uozumi R, Kinoshita A, Tada H, Morita S, Ishikawa H, Shindo A, Yasuda K, Taruno Y, Maki T, Suehiro T, Mori K, Ikeda M, Fujita K, Izumi Y, Kanemaru K, Ishii K, Shigenobu K, Kutoku Y, Sunada Y, Kawakatsu S, Shiota S, Watanabe T, Uchikawa O, Takahashi R, Tomimoto H, Inoue H.
Repurposing bromocriptine for Aβ metabolism in Alzheimer’s disease (REBRAnD) study: randomised placebo-controlled double-blind comparative trial and open-label extension trial to investigate the safety and efficacy of bromocriptine in Alzheimer’s disease with presenilin 1 (PSEN1) mutations.
BMJ Open 11(6): e051343, 2021
- Takeuchi H, Imamura K, Ji B, Tsukita K, Enami T, Takao K, Miyakawa T, Hasegawa M, Sahara N, Iwata N, Inoue M, Tabira T, Hara H, Ono M, Trojanowski J, Lee V, Takahashi R, Suhara T, Higuchi M, Inoue H.
Nasal vaccine delivery attenuates brain pathology and cognitive impairment in tauopathy model mice.
NPJ Vaccines, 5(1):28,2020
- Imamura K, Izumi Y, Banno H, Uozumi R, Morita S, Egawa N, Ayaki T, Nagai M, Nishiyama K, Watanabe Y, Hanajima R, Oki R, Fujita K, Takahashi N, Ikeda T, Shimizu A, Morinaga A, Hirohashi T, Fujii Y, Takahashi R, Inoue H.
Induced pluripotent stem cell-based Drug Repurposing for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis Medicine (iDReAM) study: Protocol for a phase 1 dose escalation study of bosutinib for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients.
BMJ Open 9(12): e033131, 2019
- Inoue H, Tsukita K, Iwasato T, Suzuki Y, Tomioka M, Tateno M, Nagao M, Kawata A, Saido TC, Miura M, Misawa H, Itohara S, Takahashi R.
The crucial role of caspase-9 in the disease progression of transgenic ALS mouse model.
EMBO J 22(24): 6665-6674, 2003
- Chui DH, Tanahashi H, Ozawa K, Ikeda S, Checler F, Ueda O, Suzuki H, Araki W, Inoue H, Shirotani K, Takahashi K, Gallyas F, Tabira T.
Transgenic mice with Alzheimer presenilin 1 mutations show accelerated neurodegeneration without amyloid plaque formation.
Nature Medicine 5: 560-564, 1999
LaboratoryProfessor: Haruhisa Inoue
CiRA Junior associate professor: Keiko Imamura
CiRA Junior associate professor: Takayuki Kondo
iACT associate professor: Haruhiko Banno
iACT assistant professor: Taro Okunomiya
TEL: +81-75-366-7036 FAX:+81-75-366-7094