Taku Iwami, M.D., Ph.D. Professor
Department of Preventive Services aim to product evidences to resolve familiar clinical questions and improve clinical practices in any stage of diseases including health promotion, preventive medicine, and resuscitation against cardiac arrests.
We welcome not only medical doctors but also nurses, pharmacists, and other medical professionals who want to learn epidemiology and conduct clinical study to improve clinical practice and patients’ outcomes.
Research and EducationAcademic Policy:
- We focus on the appropriate scientific methodology.
- We will conduct studies based-on clinical questions from the scene and feedback the results to the scene.
- We emphasis the importance of a teamwork across jobs and fields to make a good study to improve practice and patients’ outcomes.
We recommend students to experience a whole process from making a study protocol to publishing a paper, and provide a mentoring by faculties and weekly conference. We also recommend and support the process to feedback outputs of studies to society.
The impact of nation-wide dissemination of an automated external defibrillator in Japan , the effectiveness of chest compression-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation , the effectiveness of dispatcher instruction with chest compression-only CPR to increase CPR by bystanders , a randomized controlled trial to compare Kakkonto, Japanese herbal medicine, to a western-style medicine among common cold patients , Effectiveness of a healthcare retreat for male employees with cardiovascular risk factors .
We conducted a population-based cohort study of out-of-hospital cardiac arrests in Osaka, Japan and demonstrated the effectiveness of chest compression-only CPR (CCCPR). Circulation. 2007;116:2900-2907.
The poster of randomized controlled trial to compare the effectiveness of Kakkonto, a Japanese herbal medicine, to a western-style medicine among common cold patients. Intern Med. 2014;53:949-56.
- Kitamura T, Kiyohara K, Sakai T, Matsuyama T, Hatakeyama T, Shimamoto T,Izawa J, Fujii T, Nishiyama C, Kawamura T, Iwami T. Public-Access Defibrillation and Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Japan. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2016; 375: 1649-1659.
- Iwami T, Kawamura T, Hiraide A, Berg RA, Hayashi Y, Nishiuchi T, Kajino K, Yonemoto N, Yukioka H, Sugimoto H, Kakuchi H, Sase K, Yokoyama H, Nonogi H. Effectiveness of Bystander-Initiated Cardiac-Only Resuscitation for Patients with Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Circulation. 2007; 116: 2900-2907.
- Shimamoto T, Iwami T, Kitamura T, Nishiyama C, Sakai T, Nishiuchi T, Hayashi Y, Kawamura T, Utstein Osaka Project. Dispatcher Instruction of Chest Compression-Only CPR Increases Actual Provision of Bystander CPR. Resuscitation. 2015;96:9-15.
- Okabayashi S, Goto M, Kawamura T, Watanabe H, Kimura A, Uruma R, Takahashi Y, Taneichi S, Musashi M, Miyaki K. Non-superiority of Kakkonto, a Japanese herbal medicine, to a representative multiple cold medicine with respect to anti-aggravation effects on the common cold: a randomized controlled trial. Intern Med. 2014;53(9):949-56.
- Matsuzaki K, Taniguchi S, Inoue K, Kawamura T. Effectiveness of a healthcare retreat for male employees with cardiovascular risk factors. Prev Med Rep. 2018 Dec 18;13:170-174.
Preventive Services （Kyoto University Health Service）教授：Taku Iwami
准教授：Yu Sakagami, Ryuji Furihata
助教：Satoe Okabayashi, Keiichi Matsuzaki, Daisuke Kobayashi, Yukako Nakagami
特定助教：Tomonari Shimamoto, Yukiko Tateyama