Minoru Suzuki, M.D. Ph.D.Professor
Boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) has a unique feature which can deliver tumor-cell selective heavy-particle irradiation (Fig.1). At our institute, clinical studies on BNCT for malignant glioma and head and neck cancers using an accelerator based BNCT (Fig.2) have been carried out since 2012. The mission of our division is to carry out preclinical BNCT studies and to apply tumor-cell selective heavy-particle irradiation to radiation biology studies.
Research and EducationThe main research subjects are as follows;
- Preclinical BNCT studies
・Research on effect of BNCT for normal organs or tissues.
・Research on development of new BNCT drugs in concert with other laboratories.
・Research on combination of BNCT and immunotherapy
- Research on radiation biology studies using boron neutron capture irradiation.
- Preclinical research on BNCT for companion animals
- Research on gadolinium-neutron capture therapy (Gd-NCT)
Fig.1 Boron capture neutron reaction（Boron neutron capture irradiation）
Nonradioactive isotope 10B atoms that absorb low-energy (<0.5 eV) neutrons (thermal neutrons) disintegrate into an alpha (4He) particle and a recoiled lithium nucleus (7Li). These particles deposit high energy along their very short path (<10 µm).
Fig.2 Schema of accelerator-based BNCT system
- Minoru Suzuki. Boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT): a unique role in radiotherapy with a view to entering the accelerator-based BNCT era. International journal of clinical oncology 25(1) 43 – 50, 2020
- Takahiro Nomoto, Yukiya Inoue, Ying Yao, Minoru Suzuki, Kaito Kanamori, Hiroyasu Takemoto, Makoto Matsui, Keishiro Tomoda, Nobuhiro Nishiyama. Poly(vinyl alcohol) boosting therapeutic potential of p-boronophenylalanine in neutron capture therapy by modulating metabolism. Science advances 6(4) eaaz1722, 2020
- Manjot Kaur, Paviter Singh, Kulwinder Singh, Usha Singh Gaharwar, Ramovatar Meena, Manjeet Kumar, Fumiko Nakagawa, Shangze Wu, Minoru Suzuki, Hiroyuki Nakamura, Akshay Kumar. Boron nitride (10BN) a prospective material for treatment of cancer by boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) . Materials Letters 259, 2020
- Koji Ono, Hiroki Tanaka, Minoru Suzuki. Reevaluation of CBE value of BPA for hepatocytes. Applied radiation and isotopes : including data, instrumentation and methods for use in agriculture, industry and medicine 161 109159 – 109159, 2020
- Takao Tsurubuchi, Makoto Shirakawa, Wataru Kurosawa, Kayo Matsumoto, Risa Ubagai, Hiroshi Umishio, Yasuyo Suga, Junko Yamazaki, Akihiro Arakawa, Yutaka Maruyama, Takuya Seki, Yusuke Shibui, Fumiyo Yoshida, Alexander Zaboronok, Minoru Suzuki, Yoshinori Sakurai, Hiroki Tanaka, Kei Nakai, Eiichi Ishikawa, Akira Matsumura. Evaluation of a Novel Boron-Containing α-D-Mannopyranoside for BNCT.Cells 9(5) 2020
Particle Radiation OncologyProfessor：Minoru Suzuki, M.D. Ph.D.
Assistant Professor：Natsuko Kondo, Tsubasa Watanabe
Program-Specific Assistant Professor：
Yuki Tamari, Naonori Ko, Yusuke Wada, Syoji Imamichi