Hironori Haga, M.D., Professor
Diagnostic pathology is a medical specialty aiming the diagnosis of diseases, based mainly on light microscopic examination of tissues or cells. Although most of our study focuses on histomorphology based on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues, it always needs integration of molecular tests and clinicopathologic correlation. Techniques of immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization are rapidly improving and allowing us to understand the mechanisms of diseases and to decide how to treat the patients.
Research and EducationCurrent research fields include 1) lung cancer, 2) pathology of signal transduction, and other clinicopathologic studies of various organs. We have contributed to validation of the current WHO classification of lung adenocarcinoma; Elucidation of roles of inhibitory receptors in tumor cells is another theme of our study and can be closely related to treatment of the patients. For clinicopathologic studies, in-house diagnostic database, image analysis using virtual microscopy, and tissue microarray technique are also available.
1：Expression of GATA-binding factor 6 (GATA6) and prognosis of lung cancer
2：Loss of killer immunoglobulin-like receptor (KIR) 2DL4 in the placenta is associated with infertility
3：Construction of decision tree for diagnosis of pancreatic lesions in needle aspiration specimens
- Yamada Y, Hirata M, Sakamoto A, Noguchi T, Ito K, Nishida Y, Matsuda S, Haga H. A comparison of the usefulness of nuclear beta-catenin in the diagnosis of desmoid-type fibromatosis among commonly used anti-beta-catenin antibodies. Pathol Int. 2021 Mar 31. Epub ahead of print.
- Ishida A, Minamiguchi S, Yamada Y, Nakagawa R, Chigusa Y, Kondoh E, Mandai M, Haga H. Histological distribution pattern of hemosiderin deposition on the chorionic plate and fetal membrane of diffuse chorioamniotic hemosiderosis related to chronic abruption oligohydramnios sequence. Placenta. 2021;105:1-6.
- Fujimoto M, Kaku Y, Hirata M, Usui S, Yamada Y, Haga H. EBV-positive Mucocutaneous Ulcer With Small Lymphocytic Infiltration Mimicking Nonspecific Ulceration. Am J Surg Pathol. 2021 Jan 11. Epub ahead of print.
- Rokutan-Kurata M, Yoshizawa A, Nakajima N, Teramoto Y, Sumiyoshi S, Kondo K, Hamaji M, Sonobe M, Menju T, Date H, Haga H. Discohesive growth pattern (Disco-p) as an unfavorable prognostic factor in lung adenocarcinoma: an analysis of 1062 Japanese patients with resected lung adenocarcinoma. Mod Pathol. 2020;33(9):1722-1731.
- Okabayshi M, Kataoka TR, Oji M, Mibayashi S, Odani K, Otsuka A, Haga H. IGF2BP3 (IMP3) expression in angiosarcoma, epithelioid hemangioendothelioma, and benign vascular lesions. Diagn Pathol. 2020 Mar 23;15(1):26.
Diagnostic PathologyProfessor Hironori Haga
Associate professor Sachiko Minamiguchi, Akihiko Yoshizawa
Lecturer Masakazu Fujimoto, Yosuke Yamada
Assistant professor Yasuhide Takeuchi