Our main mission is to elucidate pathogenesis of eye diseases and to develop new treatment methods through in vitro studies, in vivo studies, genetic studies and clinical studies. We have published more than 40 scientific papers every year. We will welcome whoever possesses high ambition to explore eye diseases.
Research and EducationRetina is the key organ for vision. The structure of the retina is damaged in retinal vein occlusion, diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, and pathologic myopia. Retinal ganglion cells are also injured in glaucoma. We have evaluated optical coherence tomography images of eyes with such diseases and found mechanisms of visual function loss in each disease.
Photoreceptor cells in human eye cannot be clearly observed by a fundus camera or a scanning laser ophthalmoscopy (SLO) due to ocular aberrations. Adaptive optics (AO) technology can compensate such aberrations. We have developed AO-SLO system and evaluated photoreceptor cell damage in detail in several diseases. Nerve fiber bundles are also observed as high-quality images with AO-SLO, which becomes narrower in glaucoma.
We have performed genetic studies on age-related macular degeneration, pathologic myopia, and retinitis pigmentosa. We are conducting a multicenter prospective genome study to start personalized medicine for age-related macular degeneration. In collaboration with Kakizuka Research, we are developing a novel drug for degenerative diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa.
Fig 1: Effects of VCP-inhibitor in model mice for age-related macular degeneration1)
Fig 2: A new clinical spectrum; Pachychoroid Geographic Atrophy5)
- Muraoka Y, Iida Y, Ikeda HO, Iwai S, Hata M, Iwata T, Nakayama M, Shimozawa N, Katakai Y, Kakizuka A, Yoshimura N, Tsujikawa A. KUS121, an ATP regulator, mitigates chorioretinal pathologies in animal models of age-related macular degeneration. Heliyon. 2018;4(5):e00624.
- Hosoda Y, Yoshikawa M, Miyake M, Tabara Y, Ahn J, Woo SJ, Honda S, Sakurada Y, Shiragami C, Nakanishi H, Oishi A, Ooto S, Miki A; Nagahama Study Group, Iida T, Iijima H, Nakamura M, Khor CC, Wong TY, Song K, Park KH, Yamada R, Matsuda F, Tsujikawa A, Yamashiro K. CFH and VIPR2 as susceptibility loci in choroidal thickness and pachychoroid disease central serous chorioretinopathy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018;115(24):6261-6266.
- Hata M, Ikeda HO, Iwai S, Iida Y, Gotoh N, Asaka I, Ikeda K, Isobe Y, Hori A, Nakagawa S, Yamato S, Arita M, Yoshimura N, Tsujikawa A. Reduction of lipid accumulation rescues Bietti’s crystalline dystrophy phenotypes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018;115(15):3936-3941
- Hosoda Y, Yoshikawa M, Miyake M, Tabara Y, Shimada N, Zhao W, Oishi A, Nakanishi H, Hata M, Akagi T, Ooto S, Nagaoka N, Fang Y; Nagahama Study group, Ohno-Matsui K, Cheng CY, Saw SM, Yamada R, Matsuda F, Tsujikawa A, Yamashiro K. CCDC102B confers risk of low vision and blindness in high myopia. Nat Commun. 2018;9(1):1782.
- Takahashi A, Ooto S, Yamashiro K, Tamura H, Oishi A, Miyata M, Hata M, Yoshikawa M, Yoshimura N, Tsujikawa A. Pachychoroid geographic atrophy.-clinical and genetic characteristics- Ophthalmology Retina. 2018; 2:295-305.
Ophthalmology and Visual SciencesProfessor ：Akitaka Tsujikawa
Associate Professor ：Tadamichi Akagi
Lecturer ：Sotaro Ooto・Tomoaki Murakami
Assistant professor ：Akio Oishi・ Takanori Kameda・ Akihito Uji・ Manabu Miyata・ Yuki Muraoka・Masahiro Miyake・Kenji Suda・Ayako Takahashi