Souichi Adachi M.D., Ph.D. Professor
Many hematologic malignancies of children have been cured because of progression of treatments including chemotherapy and stem cell transplantation. But, still some of these patients relapse or suffer from serious complications. Our laboratory has many projects related with new treatments or diagnostic tools in these patients. We are collaborating with Kyoto University Hospital and other major Universities and Hospitals through Japanese Pediatric Leukemia/Lymphoma Study Group (JPLSG).
Research and EducationOur main projects are as follows;
- Mechanism of new type of cell death of leukemic cells in vitro and in vivo induced by molecular target therapy
- Development of new treatments and new prognostic factors in child AML
- Analysis of mechanism of enhancement of neutrophil killing activity against multi-drug resistant bacteria by intravenous immunoglobulin
- Analysis of minimal residual disease of leukemia by FACS and analysis of leukemic stem cells in this population
- Analysis of serious complications in patients after stem cell transplantation.
Publications1. Shinzato A, Tabuchi K, Atsuta Y, Inoue M, Inagaki J, Yabe H, Koh K, Kato K, Ohta H, Kigasawa H, Kitoh T, Ogawa A, Takahashi Y, Sasahara Y, Kato S, Adachi S. PBSCT is associated with poorer survival and increased chronic GvHD than BMT in Japanese paediatric patients with acute leukaemia and an HLA-matched sibling donor. Pediatr Blood Cancer in press
2. Creutzig U, van den Heuvel-Eibrink MM, Gibson B, Dworzak MN, Adachi S, de Bont E, Harbott J, Hasle H, Johnston D, Kinoshita A, Lehrnbecher T, Leverger G, Mejstrikova E, Meshinchi S, Pession A, Raimondi SC, Sung L, Stary J, Zwaan CM, Kaspers GJ, Reinhardt D. Diagnosis and management of acute myeloid leukemia in children and adolescents: Recommendations from an international expert panel on behalf of the AML-committee of the international BFM study group. Blood 2012 120(16): 3187-205.
3. Taga T, Moriya-Saito A, Kudo K, Tomizawa D, Terui K, Moritake H, Kinoshita A, Iwamoto S, Nakayama H, Takahashi H, Tawa A, Shimada A, Taki T, Kigasawa H, Koh K, Adachi S. Clinical characteristics and outcome of refractory/relapsed myeloid leukemia in children with Down syndrome. Blood 2012 120(9): 1810-5.
4. Bando M, Iwakura H, Ariyasu H, Hosoda H, Yamada G, Hosoda K, Adachi S, Nakao K, Kangawa K, Akamizu T. Transgenic overexpression of intra-islet ghrelin does not affect insulin secretion or glucose metabolism in vivo. AJP – Endocrinology and Metabolism 2012 302(4): E403-8.
5. Nishinaka Y, Arai T, Adachi S, Takaori-Kondo A, Yamashita K: Singlet oxygen is essential for neutrophil extracellular trap formation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2011 413(1): 75-9.
LaboratoryProfessor: Souichi Adachi
Assistant Professor; Hidemasa Matsuo