Shunsuke Fujibayashi, MD, PhD. Program-Specific Professor
The purpose of our research program is the reconstruction of musculoskeletal disorders in orthopaedic surgery. The loss of musculoskeletal function decreases the QOL of the patients. Especially in elderly patients, it related to disuse syndrome and dysfunction of other organs. Rapid reconstruction using artificial joint, metal implant, and artificial bone is required in such cases. We are developing patient-specific and disease-specific medical device for next-generation surgery.
Research and EducationArtificial joint: We have developed original implants for total hip arthroplasty (THA), which have superior mechanical properties and biocompatibility. Currently we are developing bioactive bone cements for arthroplasties, as well as bioabsorbable screws for the reconstructive surgeries. Knee kinematics and mechanical properties have been analyzed for long-term durability using computer simulation for total knee arthroplasty (TKA).
Biomaterials: Our research interests of biomaterials are the development of artificial bone and artificial joint using titanium metal and polymers by surface bio-chemical treatment. And additive manufacturing technology is introduced to realize the patient-specific and disease specific device.
Figure1: Cervical spine fusion using patient-specific device
Figure2: Newly developed artificial hip joint
- Fujibayashi S, Kawakami N, Asazuma T, Ito M, Mizutani J, Nagashima H, Nakamura M, Sairyo K, Takemasa R, Iwasaki M. Complications Associated with Lateral Interbody Fusion: Nationwide Survey of 2998 Cases During the First Two Years of Its Use in Japan. Spine 2017 Oct 1;42(19):1478-1484
- Nakamura S, Tanaka Y, Kuriyama S, Nishitani K, Ito H, Furu M, Matsuda S. Superior-inferior position of patellar component affects patellofemoral kinematics and contact forces in computer simulation. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2017 Jun;45:19-24.
- Nakamura S, Ito H, Nakamura K, Kuriyama S, Furu M, Matsuda S. Long-Term Durability of Ceramic Tri-Condylar Knee Implants: A Minimum 15-Year Follow-Up. J Arthroplasty. 2017 Jun;32(6):1874-1879.
- Fujibayashi S, Otsuki B, Kimura H, Tanida S, Masamoto K, Matsuda S. Preoperative assessment of the ureter with dual-phase contrast-enhanced computed tomography for lateral lumbar interbody fusion procedures. J Orthop Sci. 2017 May;22(3):420-424.
- Goto K, Okuzu Y, So K, Kuroda Y, Matsuda S. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of cemented socket fixation concomitant to acetabular bone grafting fixed with absorbable hydroxyapatite-poly-l-lactide composite screws. J Orthop Sci. 2016 Jan;21(1):57-62.
Orthopaedic Surgery, Division of Reconstruction for Musculoskeletal DisordersProgram-Specific Professor：Shunsuke Fujibayashi
Program-Specific Lecturer：Koji Goto
Program-Specific Assistant Professor：Shinichiro Nakamura