In order to contribute to the development of cancer treatment, we are carrying out basic research in biology, bioscience and medical science focusing on BNCT (Boron Neutron Capture Therapy) that have been conducted at KURRI (Research Reactor Institute, Kyoto University). Some researchers in the field of engineering or chemistry are carrying out the study of biological matter at KURRI. Therefore, we are working positively to collaborate with them to launch a new research project.
Research and EducationOur research topics are DNA repair and intracellular mechanism, evaluation of cancer treatment by detecting the susceptibility of solid tumor cells, influence on distant metastases by treatment of local tumor, screening for new BNCT compounds, damages on normal tissue evaluated in terms of radiation biology at radiotherapy including BNCT, and so forth. Our department also collaborates with the chair of both Graduate Schools of Science and Medicine, Kyoto University. Our department belongs to Division of Radiation Life and Medical Sciences, and our research topics have a close relationship with a real BNCT performed at our institute. Thus, researchers at our department can be present as a real witness at BNCT. Further, since our institute is one of the national joint use research institutions, joint use research projects can be relatively easily organized and researchers at our department can easily collaborate with the joint use research projects.
Method for detecting the pulmonary metastatic potential
Mechanism of controlling intracellular reactive oxygen
- Sato T, Masunaga S, Kumada H, Hamada N. Microdosimetric Modeling of Biological Effectiveness for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Considering Intra- and Intercellular Heterogeneity in 10B Distribution. Scientific Reports 8, Article number: 988 (2018) doi:10.1038/s41598-017-18871-0.
- Sanada Y, Sasanuma H, Takeda S, Tano K, Masunaga S. Disruption of Hif-1α enhances cytotoxic effects of metformin in murine squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Radiat Biol, Jan;94(1):88-96, 2018, DOI:10.1080/09553002.2018.1409443.
- Moriwaki T, Okamoto S, Sasanuma H, Nagasawa H, Takeda S, Masunaga S, Tano K. Cytotoxicity of tirapazamine (3-amino-1, 2, 4-benzotriazine-1, 4-dioxide)-induced DNA damage in chicken DT40 cells. Chemical Research in Toxicology, December 12, 2016 (Article) DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemrestox.6b00417.
- Masunaga S, Tatebe H, Nishimura Y, Tano K, Sanada Y, Moriwaki T, Sakurai Y, Tanaka H, Suzuki M, Kondo N, Maruhashi A, Ono K. The effect of oxygen pressure during incubation with a 10B-carrier on 10B uptake capacity of cultured p53 wild-type and mutated tumor cells – Dependency on the p53 status of tumor cells and the type of 10B-carrier. Int J Radiat Biol. 2016 Apr;92(4):187-94. doi:10.3109/09553002.2016.1137104. Epub 2016 Feb 18.
- Masunaga S, Sakurai Y, Tanaka H, Tano K, Suzuki M, Kondo N, Narabayashi M, Nakagawa Y, Watanabe T, Maruhashi A, Ono K. The dependency of compound biological effectiveness factors on the type and the concentration of administered neutron capture agents in boron neutron capture therapy. Springer Plus 2014 3:128. doi:10.1186/2193-1801-3-128.
Radiation Life and Medical SciencesProfessor: Shin-ichiro Masunaga, email@example.com, Tel: 072-451-2406
Associate Professor: Keizo Tano, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 072-451-2392
Assistant Professor: Yu Sanada, email@example.com, Tel: 072-451-2444