Hironori Haga, M.D., Professor
Diagnostic pathology is a medical specialty aiming the diagnosis of diseases, based mainly on light microscopic examination of tissues or cells. Although most of our study focuses on histomorphology based on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues, it always needs integration of molecular tests and clinicopathologic correlation. Techniques of immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization are rapidly improving and allowing us to understand the mechanisms of diseases and to decide how to treat the patients.
Research and EducationCurrent research fields include 1) lung cancer, 2) pathology of signal transduction, and other clinicopathologic studies of various organs. We have contributed to validation of the current WHO classification of lung adenocarcinoma; Elucidation of roles of inhibitory receptors in tumor cells is another theme of our study and can be closely related to treatment of the patients. For clinicopathologic studies, in-house diagnostic database, image analysis using virtual microscopy, and tissue microarray technique are also available.
1：Expression of GATA-binding factor 6 (GATA6) and prognosis of lung cancer
2：Loss of killer immunoglobulin-like receptor (KIR) 2DL4 in the placenta is associated with infertility
3：Construction of decision tree for diagnosis of pancreatic lesions in needle aspiration specimens
- Nakayama R, Togashi Y, Baba S, Teramoto S, Sakurai T, Hironori H, Takeuchi K. Epithelioid cell histiocytoma with SQSTM1-ALK fusion: a case report. Diagnostic Pathology (2018) 13:28.
- Ueshima C, Kataoka TR, Hirata M, Sugimoto A, Iemura Y, Minamiguchi S, Nomura T, Haga H. Possible involvement of human mast cells in the establishment of pregnancy via KIR2DL4. Am J Pathol. 2018; 188: 1497-1508.
- Nakajima N, Yoshizawa A, Nakajima T, Hirata M, Furuhata A, Sumiyoshi S, Rokutan-Kurata M, Sonobe M, Menju T, Miyamoto E, Chen-Yoshikawa TF, Date H, Haga H. GATA6-positive lung adenocarcinomas are associated with invasive mucinous adenocarcinoma morphology, HNF4α expression, and KRAS mutations. Histopathology. 2018 Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ueshima C, Kataoka TR, Takei Y, Hirata M, Sugimoto A, Hirokawa M, Okayama Y, Blumberg RS, Haga H. CEACAM1 long isoform has opposite effects on the growth of human mastocytosis and medullary thyroid carcinoma cells. Cancer Med. 2017; 6: 845-856.
- Nakajima N, Yoshizawa A, Kondo K, Rokutan-Kurata M, Hirata M, Furuhata A, Sumiyoshi S, Sonobe M, Menju T, Momose M, Fujimoto M, Date H, Haga H. Evaluating the effectiveness of RNA-in situ hybridization for detecting lung adenocarcinoma with anaplastic lymphoma kinase rearrangement. Histopathology. 2017; 71: 143-149.
Diagnostic PathologyProfessor Hironori Haga
Associate professor Takaki Sakurai, Sachiko Minamiguchi, Akihiko Yoshizawa
Lecturer Tatsuki R Kataoka, Shinji Sumiyoshi