Our main mission is to elucidate pathogenesis of eye diseases and to develop new treatment methods through in vitro studies, in vivo studies, genetic studies and clinical studies. We have published more than 40 scientific papers every year. We will welcome whoever possesses high ambition to explore eye diseases.
Research and EducationRetina is the key organ for vision. The structure of the retina is damaged in retinal vein occlusion, diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, and pathologic myopia. Retinal ganglion cells are also injured in glaucoma. We have evaluated optical coherence tomography images of eyes with such diseases and found mechanisms of visual function loss in each disease.
Photoreceptor cells in human eye cannot be clearly observed by a fundus camera or a scanning laser ophthalmoscopy (SLO) due to ocular aberrations. Adaptive optics (AO) technology can compensate such aberrations. We have developed AO-SLO system and evaluated photoreceptor cell damage in detail in several diseases. Nerve fiber bundles are also observed as high-quality images with AO-SLO, which becomes narrower in glaucoma.
We have performed genetic studies on age-related macular degeneration, pathologic myopia, and retinitis pigmentosa. We are conducting a multicenter prospective genome study to start personalized medicine for age-related macular degeneration. In collaboration with Kakizuka Research, we are developing a novel drug for degenerative diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa.
Fig 1. Neuroprotection effects by VCP inhibitor for retinal degeneration animal models
Fig 2. High-resolution imaging of vitreous
- Elfandi S, Ooto S, Ueda-Arakawa N, Takahashi A, Yoshikawa M, Nakanishi H, Tamura H, Oishi A, Yamashiro K, Yoshimura N. Clinical and genetic characteristics of japanese patients with age-related macular degeneration and pseudodrusen. Ophthalmology 2016; 123:2205-12.
- Hasegawa T, Muraoka Y, Ikeda HO, Tsuruyama T, Kondo M, Terasaki H, Kakizuka A, Yoshimura N. Neuoroprotective efficacies by KUS121, a VCP modulator, on animal models of retinal degeneration. Sci Rep. 2016;6:31184
- Akagi T, Nakano E, Nakanishi H, Uji A, Yoshimura N. Transient ciliochoroidal detachment after ab interno trabeculotomy for open-angle glaucoma: a prospective anterior-segment optical coherence tomography study. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016;134:304-11.
- Uji A, Yoshimura N. Microarchitecture of the vitreous body: a high-resolution optical coherence tomography study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2016;168:24-30.
- Takahashi A, Ooto S, Yamashiro K, Oishi A, Tamura H, Nakanishi H, Ueda-Arakawa N, Tsujikawa A, Yoshimura N. Photoreceptor damage and reduction of retinal sensitivity surrounding geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2016;168:260-8.
Ophthalmology and Visual SciencesProfessor ：Akitaka Tsujikawa
Lecturer ：Tadamichi Akagi・Sotaro Ooto
Assistant professor ：Tomoaki Murakami・ Akio Oishi・ Takanori Kameda・ Akihito Uji・ Manabu Miyata・ Yuki Muraoka