Plastic and reconstructive surgery is a specialized branch of surgery to repair deformities and defects of the integument and underlying musculocutaneous framework. Maxillofacial surgery, microsurgery, skin surgery and hand surgery are its subdivisions. We not only conduct clinical studies for improvement of diagnostic skills and surgical outcomes but also focus on basic research into wound healing, microcirculation, embryology, anatomy, biomaterials and regenerative medicine. One of our achievements in skin regeneration has already been used clinically. We will constantly perform clinically useful research by applying the outcomes of basic research.
Research and EducationCurrent research activities in our field deal with clinical studies and basic studies such as regenerative medicine and wound healing. Clinical and basic studies are closely linked.
In regenerative medicine, we developed the artificial dermis in cooperation with the Institute for Frontier Medical Science and it has been clinically used in the world. We have been conducting researches with a view to developing an ideal artificial skin. Recently we have performed clinical trials on a new artificial dermis which can provide sustained release of cell growth factors. We have also been making researches into stem cells and the regeneration of elastic fibers. In addition, we have been engaged in studies on regeneration of the fat, nerve, cartilage, bone and vessels. In wound healing, we are putting a great deal of effort into elucidating pathogenesis of keloid using molecular biological technique and developing its new treatment.
We are training young researchers to have both scientific and clinical perspectives and to aim at performing creative studies which are put to clinical application.
- Saito S, Ueda M, Takahashi N, Kawakatsu M, Suzuki S. Three-dimensional ultrasonography for visualization of muscular anomalies in type VI and VII radial polydactyly. Skeletal Radiol;45:541-547 2016.
- Kishimoto H, Yamada S, Kanahashi T, Yoneyama A, Imai H, Matsuda T, Takeda T, Kawai K, Suzuki S. Three-dimensional imaging of palatal muscles in the human embryo and fetus: Development of levator veli palatini and clinical importance of the lesser palatine nerve. Dev Dyn;245:123-131 2016.
- Jinno C, Morimoto N, Mahara A, Liem PH, Sakamoto M, Ogino S, Kakudo N, Inoie M, Fujisato T, Kusumoto K, Suzuki S, Yamaoka T. Inactivation of Human Nevus Tissue Using High Hydrostatic Pressure for Autologous Skin Reconstruction: A Novel Treatment for Giant Congenital Melanocytic Nevi. Tissue Eng Part C Methods;21:1178-1187 2015.
- Aya R, Ishiko T, Noda K, Yamawaki S, Sakamoto Y, Tomihata K, Katayama Y, Yoshikawa K, Kubota H, Nakamura T, Naitoh M, Suzuki S. Regeneration of elastic fibers by three-dimensional culture on a collagen scaffold and the addition of latent TGF-b binding protein 4 to improve elastic matrix deposition. Biomaterials;72:29-37 2015.
- Ito R,Morimoto N, Liem PH, Nakamura Y, Kawai K, Taira T, Tsuji W, Toi M, Suzuki S. Adipogenesis using human adipose tissue-derived stromal cells combined with a collagen/gelatin sponge sustaining release of basic fibroblast growth factor. J Tissue Eng Regen Med;8:1000-1008 2014.
Plastic and Reconstructive SurgerySenior Lecturer：Susumu Saito M.D.,Ph.D.
Specific Senior Lecturer：Michiharu Sakamoto M.D.,Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer（Hospital）：Kazuo Noda M.D.,Ph.D.
Assistant Professor：Hideaki Kishimoto M.D.,Ph.D.
Assistant Professor：Shuichi Ogino M.D.,Ph.D.
Specific hospital Assistant Professor：Yoshitaka Matsuura M.D.
Specific hospital Assistant Professor：Itaru Tsuge M.D.