Kenji Minatoya, M.D., Ph.D. Professor
We provide evidence-based standardized surgical treatments for patients with various acquired (valvular / coronary / cardiomyopathy / arrhythmia) and congenital heart diseases, and vascular diseases (aortic / peripheral). We also deal with advanced surgical care including endovascular repair for aortic aneurysms, transcatheter aortic valve implantation and ventricular assist devices for severe heart failure. We pursue cardiac and vascular regenerative researches under broad collaborations with institutes nationwide ranging from basic to clinical researches, and translational researches to pioneer the frontier of cardiovascular surgical treatments.
Research and EducationResearch: Our research theme includes cardiac regeneration using human iPS cell-derived cardiac tissue sheets and gelatin hydrogel which enables us to generate thick transplantable tissue graft under collaboration with Center for iPS Cell Research Application (CiRA) and Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences (IFLMS) (Kyoto University), prevention of complications related to cardiopulmonary bypass, development of surgical devices, and phenotype control of vascular grafts or therapeutic angiogenesis using microRNAs. We conduct clinical trials of therapeutic angiogenesis for clinical limb ischemia or ischemic heart diseases using sustained release of basis fibroblast growth factor (collaboration with IFLMS). We also conduct observational studies from a registry database of patients undergone cardiovascular surgery collected from our affiliated institutes nationwide (ADVANCE-Kyoto).
Education: To develop cardiovascular surgeons qualified as a surgical team leader, we employ a training system in which the trainees are fairly graded by the assessment from the personnel committee, and can experience surgical trainings in our affiliated institutes corresponding to their grades which guarantees equal opportunity to the trainees.
Members of the department
A: Thick viable (5-layered) human iPS cell-derived cardiac tissue sheets transplanted onto the heart of a porcine myocardial infarction model.
B: Rat cardiopulmonary bypass model.
- Nakane T, Masumoto H, Tinney JP, Yuan F, Kowalski WJ, Ye F, LeBlanc AJ, Sakata R, Yamashita JK, Keller BB. Impact of Cell Composition and Geometry on Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells-Derived Engineered Cardiac Tissue. Sci Rep. 2017;7:45641.
- Takimoto S, Saito N, Minakata K, Shirai S, Isotani A, Arai Y, Hanyu M, Komiya T, Shimamoto T, Goto T, Fuku Y, Ehara N, Furukawa Y, Koyama T, Nagasawa A, Tamura T, Miyake M, Yamanaka K, Sakaguchi H, Murata K, Onodera T, Yamazaki F, Nakai M, Taniguchi T, Sakata R, Kimura T. Favorable Clinical Outcomes of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation in Japanese Patients - First Report From the Post-Approval K-TAVI Registry. Circ J. 2016;81:103-109.
- Matsuo T, Masumoto H, Tajima S, Ikuno T, Katayama S, Minakata K, Ikeda T, Yamamizu K, Tabata Y, Sakata R, Yamashita JK. Efficient long-term survival of cell grafts after myocardial infarction with thick viable cardiac tissue entirely from pluripotent stem cells. Sci Rep. 2015;5:16842.
- Masumoto H, Ikuno T, Takeda M, Fukushima H, Marui A, Katayama S, Shimizu T, Ikeda T, Okano T, Sakata R, Yamashita JK. Human iPS cell-engineered cardiac tissue sheets with cardiomyocytes and vascular cells for cardiac regeneration. Sci Rep. 2014;4:6716.
- Masumoto H, Matsuo T, Yamamizu K, Uosaki H, Narazaki G, Katayama S, Marui A, Shimizu T, Ikeda T, Okano T, Sakata R, Yamashita JK. Pluripotent stem cell-engineered cell sheets reassembled with defined cardiovascular populations ameliorate reduction in infarct heart function through cardiomyocyte-mediated neovascularization. Stem Cells. 2012;30:1196-205.
Cardiovascular SurgeryProfessor: Kenji Minatoya
Associate Professor: Tadashi Ikeda
Senior Lecturer: Kazuhiro Yamazaki
Assistant Professor: Hideo Kanemitsu, Koji Ueyama, Hidetoshi Masumoto
Specific hospital Assistant Professor: Yujiro Ide, Kazuhisa Sakamoto, Tarou Nakatsu
Tel: +81-75-751-3780 or 3784