Kenji Minatoya, M.D., Ph.D. Professor
We provide evidence-based standardized surgical treatments for patients with various acquired (valvular / coronary / cardiomyopathy / arrhythmia) and congenital heart diseases, and vascular diseases (aortic / peripheral). We also deal with advanced surgical care including endovascular repair for aortic aneurysms, transcatheter aortic valve implantation and ventricular assist devices for severe heart failure. We pursue cardiac and vascular regenerative researches under broad collaborations with institutes nationwide ranging from basic to clinical researches, and translational researches to pioneer the frontier of cardiovascular surgical treatments.
Research and EducationResearch: Our research theme includes cardiac regeneration using human iPS cell-derived cardiac tissue sheets and gelatin hydrogel which enables us to generate thick tissue graft under collaboration with Center for iPS Cell Research Application (CiRA) and Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences (IFLMS) (Kyoto University), prevention of complications related to cardiopulmonary bypass, development of surgical devices, and phenotype control of vascular grafts or therapeutic angiogenesis using microRNAs and development of decellularized vascular xenograft. We conduct clinical trials of therapeutic angiogenesis for clinical limb ischemia or ischemic heart diseases using sustained release of basis fibroblast growth factor (collaboration with IFLMS). We also conduct observational studies from a registry database of patients undergone cardiovascular surgery from our affiliated institutes nationwide (ADVANCE-Kyoto).
Education: To develop cardiovascular surgeons qualified as a surgical team leader, we employ a training system in which the trainees are fairly graded by the assessment from the personnel committee, and can experience surgical trainings in our affiliated institutes corresponding to their grades which guarantees equal opportunity to the trainees.
Members of the department
A: Thick viable (5-layered) human iPS cell-derived cardiac tissue sheets transplanted onto the heart of a porcine myocardial infarction model.
B: Rat cardiopulmonary bypass model.
- Minatoya K, Inoue Y, Seike Y, Omura A, Uehara K, Sasaki H, Matsuda H, Kobayashi J. Thoracoabdominal aortic replacement in patients aged 50 and younger. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. In press.
- Tsumaru S, Masumoto H, Minakata K, Izuhara M, Yamazaki K, Ikeda T, Ono K, Sakata R, Minatoya K. Therapeutic angiogenesis by local sustained release of microRNA-126 using poly lactic-co-glycolic acid nanoparticles in murine hindlimb ischemia. J Vasc Surg. In press.
- Kawatou M, Masumoto H, Fukushima H, Morinaga G, Sakata R, Ashihara T, Yamashita JK. Modelling Torsade de Pointes arrhythmias in vitro in 3D human iPS cell-engineered heart tissue. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1078.
- Hirao S, Minakata K, Masumoto H, Yamazaki K, Ikeda T, Minatoya K, Sakata R. Recombinant human soluble thrombomodulin prevents acute lung injury in a rat cardiopulmonary bypass model. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;154:1973-1983.
- Taki T, Masumoto H, Funamoto M, Minakata K, Yamazaki K, Ikeda T, Sakata R. Fetal mesenchymal stem cells ameliorate acute lung injury in a rat cardiopulmonary bypass model. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;153:726-734.
Cardiovascular SurgeryProfessor: Kenji Minatoya
Associate Professor: Tadashi Ikeda
Senior Lecturer: Kazuhiro Yamazaki
Assistant Professor: Hideo Kanemitsu
Specially-appointed Assistant Professor: Hidetoshi Masumoto
Institute for Advancement of Clinical and Translational Science (iACT) Assistant Professor: Masahide Kawatou
Specific hospital Assistant Professor: Yujiro Ide, Kazuhisa Sakamoto, Jiro Sakai
Tel: +81-75-751-3780 or 3784