Masaki Mandai, M.D., Ph.D. Professor
In the clinical field of obstetrics and gynecology, we manage physiological and psychological problems during the entire women’s life. In addition, obstetricians and gynecologists manage specialized field of pathophysiology; i.e. pregnancy and disease of female pelvic organs. In our department of gynecology and obstetrics, all postgraduate residents can learn characteristics of female pathophysiology, and can acquire basic knowledge about primary care in obstetric and gynecological emergency. In the research field, obstetrics and gynecology contain various research issues such as perinatology, gynelocogical oncology and reproductive pathophysiology.
Research and Education
Our department covers the following three fields.
【Perinatology】We manage patients with high risk pregnancy, fetal anomalies, and with various medical complications. In the research field, we are investigating the mechanisms of parturition such as regulation of uterine contraction by prostaglandins. We are also interested in the regulatory mechanisms of fetal development, especially in relation to placenta derived factors.
【Gynecologic oncology】Clinical principle is to select most suitable treatment strategy for each patient. In the research field, genome-wide gene expression analyses, functional screening, and gene transfection are used to clarify the process of tumorgenesis and development of gynecologic cancer. In addition, analyses of immuno-escaping mechanism of cancer and the development of anti-cancer immunotherapy are undergone.
【Reproduction】We offer infertility treatments including laparoscopic surgeries, in vitro fertilization and other assisted reproductive technologies. In the research field, we are now investigating the regulatory mechanisms of successful implantation, the mechanisms of controlled invasion of placental extravillous trophoblasts into maternal uterus and the regulatory mechanisms of immune factor in implantation.
- Murakami R, Matsumura N, Brown JB, Higasa K, Tsutsumi T, Kamada M, Abou-Taleb H, Hosoe Y, Kitamura S, Yamaguchi K, Abiko K, Hamanishi J, Baba T, Koshiyama M, Okuno Y, Yamada R, Matsuda F, Konishi I, Mandai M. Exome Sequencing Landscape Analysis in Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma Shed Light on Key Chromosomal Regions and Mutation Gene Networks. Am J Pathol. 2017 Oct;187(10):2246-2258.
- Mandai M, Hamanishi J, Abiko K, Matsumura N, Baba T, Konishi I. Dual Faces of IFNγ in Cancer Progression: A Role of PD-L1 Induction in the Determination of Pro- and Antitumor Immunity. Clin Cancer Res. 2016 May 15;22(10):2329-34.
- Hamanishi J, Mandai M, Ikeda T, Minami M, Kawaguchi A, Murayama T, Kanai M, Mori Y, Matsumoto S, Chikuma S, Matsumura N, Abiko K, Baba T, Yamaguchi K, Ueda A, Hosoe Y, Morita S, Yokode M, Shimizu A, Honjo T, Konishi I. Safety and Antitumor Activity of Anti-PD-1 Antibody, Nivolumab, in Patients With Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Dec 1;33(34):4015-22.
- Reliable pre-eclampsia pathways based on multiple independent microarray data sets. Kawasaki K, Kondoh E, Chigusa Y, Ujita M, Murakami R, Mogami H, Brown JB, Okuno Y, Konishi I. Mol Hum Reprod. 2015;21:217-24.
- CD9 supresses human extravillous trophoblast invasion. Matsumoto H, Sato Y, Horie A, Suginami K, Tani H, Hattori A, Araki Y, Kagami K, Konishi I, Fujiwara H. Placenta. 2016 Nov;47:105-112.
Gynecology and ObstetricsProfessor： Masaki Mandai
Senior Lecturer： Eiji Kondo, Junzo Hamanishi, Akihito Horie
Assistant Professor： Yumiko Yoshioka, Haruta Mogami, Kaoru Abiko, Miho Egawa, Yoshitsugu Chigusa,
Program-Specific Assistant Professor: Miyuki Ito, Ryusuke Murakami, Hirohiko Tani, Shunsuke Kawahara, Akihiko Ueda, Baku Nakakita
e-mail ： firstname.lastname@example.org
URL ： http://www.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~obgy/