Masakazu Toi M.D. Ph.D Professor
For Japanese females, the incidence of breast cancer is the highest amongst all cancers. The incidence and mortality rate of breast cancer are rising every year. In our research group, studies ranging from molecular biological research to clinical trials are performed with the aim of generating new diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive tools. Furthermore, studies of the treatment personalization according to an individual’s risk profile are being initiated to create a next generation breast cancer medical platform.
Research and EducationIn order to realize the personalized medicine in breast cancer treatment, genomic, epigenetic and transcriptomic profiles of breast cancer are being analyzed. Furthermore, host reactions to breast cancers, including immune and inflammatory responses, are investigated using biomaterials from breast cancer patients. Therefore, a variety of translational researches as well as biomarker development are activated in this laboratory.
Currently, several types of new diagnostic technologies are under development in our laboratory, including photo-acoustic technologies for imaging of tumor vasculature and its function, imaging mass spectrometry technologies to identify next generation biomarkers for early detection of breast cancer, and microRNA profiling system and algorithm to predict treatment response of breast cancer. In parallel, studies to create a new approach for the prevention of breast cancer are being initiated according to a concept of life cycle care of life style.
Many innovative investigators are engaged in creating new ideas for understanding of breast cancer and the development of novel preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic tools for breast cancer patients.
- Real-time navigation system for sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer patients using projection mapping with indocyanine green fluorescence, Masahiro Takada, Megumi Takeuchi, Eiji Suzuki, Fumiaki Sato, Yoshiaki Matsumoto, Masae Torii, Nobuko Kawaguchi-Sakita, Hiroto Nishino, Satoru Seo, Etsuro Hatano, Masakazu Toi, Breast Cancer, 2018 May doi: 10.1007/s12282-018-0868-2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Analysis of the microvascular morphology and hemodynamics of breast cancer in mice using SPring-8 synchrotron radiation microangiography.
Torii M, Fukui T, Inoue M, Kanao S, Umetani K, Shirai M, Inagaki T, Tsuchimochi H, Pearson JT, Toi M. J Synchrotron Radiat. 2017 Sep 1;24(Pt 5):1039-1047. doi: 10.1107/S1600577517008372. Epub 2017 Aug 2.
- Downregulation of neuropilin-1 on macrophages modulates antibody-mediated tumoricidal activity.
Kawaguchi K, Suzuki E, Nishie M, Kii I, Kataoka TR, Hirata M, Inoue M, Pu F, Iwaisako K, Tsuda M, Yamaguchi A, Haga H, Hagiwara M, Toi M. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2017 Apr 21. doi: 10.1007/s00262-017-2002-2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Visualization of tumor-related blood vessels in human breast by photoacoustic imaging system with a hemispherical detector array
Masakazu Toi, Yasufumi Asao, Yoshiaki Matsumoto, Hiroyuki Sekiguchi, Aya Yoshikawa, Masahiro Takada, Masako Kataoka, Takaaki Endo, Nobuko Kawaguchi, Masahiro Kawashima, Elham Fakhrejahani, Shotaro Kanao, Iku Yamaga, Yoshie Nakayama, Mariko Tokiwa, Masae Torii, Takayuki Yagi, Takaki Sakurai, Kaori Togashi, Tsuyoshi Shiina. 2017 Feb 7;7:41970.
- Serum immunoglobulin G Fc region N-glycosylation profiling by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry can distinguish breast cancer patients from cancer-free controls.
Kawaguchi-Sakita N, Kaneshiro-Nakagawa K, Kawashima M, Sugimoto M, Tokiwa M, Suzuki E, Kajihara S, Fujita Y, Iwamoto S, Tanaka K, Toi M.
Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016 Jan 22;469(4):1140-5.
Breast SurgeryProfessor： Masakazu Toi
Associate Professor： Eiji Suzuki
Assistant Professor： Masahiro Takada
Program-Specific Assistant Professor： Masae Torii
Program-Specific Hospital Assistant Professor： Nobuko Kawaguchi
Assistant Professor： Masahiro Kawashima
Program-Specific Assistant Professor： Yoshiaki Matsumoto
Program-Specific Assistant Professor： Junji Ito
Clinical Fellow： Mariko Nishie
Doctor： Itsumi Yoshikawa, Moe Tsuda, Takeshi Kotake, Noriko Senda, Hanako Shimizu, Eri Hohokabe