Masakazu Toi M.D. Ph.D Professor
For Japanese females, the incidence of breast cancer is the highest amongst all cancers. The incidence and mortality rate of breast cancer are rising every year. In our research group, studies ranging from molecular biological research to clinical trials are performed with the aim of generating new diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive tools. Furthermore, studies of the treatment personalization according to an individual’s risk profile are being initiated to create a next generation breast cancer medical platform.
Research and EducationIn order to realize the personalized medicine in breast cancer treatment, genomic, epigenetic and transcriptomic profiles of breast cancer are being analyzed. Furthermore, host reactions to breast cancers, including immune and inflammatory responses, are investigated using biomaterials from breast cancer patients. Therefore, a variety of translational researches as well as biomarker development are activated in this laboratory.
Currently, several types of new diagnostic technologies are under development in our laboratory, including photo-acoustic technologies for imaging of tumor vasculature and its function, imaging mass spectrometry technologies to identify next generation biomarkers for early detection of breast cancer, and microRNA profiling system and algorithm to predict treatment response of breast cancer. In parallel, studies to create a new approach for the prevention of breast cancer are being initiated according to a concept of life cycle care of life style.
Many innovative investigators are engaged in creating new ideas for understanding of breast cancer and the development of novel preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic tools for breast cancer patients.
- Hayakawa Y, Kawada M, Nishikawa H, Ochiya T, Saya H, Seimiya H, Yao R, Hayashi M, Kai C, Matsuda A, Naoe T, Ohtsu A, Okazaki T, Saji H, Sata M, Sugimura H, Sugiyama Y, Toi M, Irimura T. Report on the use of non-clinical studies in the regulatory evaluation of oncology drugs. Cancer Sci. 2016 Feb;107(2):189-202. doi: 10.1111/cas.12857.
- André F, Hurvitz S, Fasolo A, Tseng LM, Jerusalem G, Wilks S, O’Regan R, Isaacs C, Toi M, Burris H, He W, Robinson D, Riester M, Taran T, Chen D, Slamon D. Molecular Alterations and Everolimus Efficacy in Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2-Overexpressing Metastatic Breast Cancers: Combined Exploratory Biomarker Analysis From BOLERO-1 and BOLERO-3. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Jun 20;34(18):2115-24. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2015.63.9161. Epub 2016 Apr 18
- Lee ES, Han W, Shin HC, Takada M, Ryu HS, Cho N, Kim MK, Kim J, Yoo TK, Moon HG, Toi M, Moon WK, Park IA, Noh DY. Clinical benefit of nomogram for predicting positive resection margins in breast conserving surgery. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 May 25. pii:S0748-7983(16)30147-0. doi:10.1016/j.ejso.2016.04.058. [Epub ahead of print]
- Li W, Itou J, Tanaka S, Nishimura T, Sato F, Toi M. A homeobox protein, NKX6.1, up-regulates interleukin-6 expression for cell growth in basal-like breast cancer cells.Exp Cell Res. 2016 May 1;343(2):177-89. doi: 10.1016/j.yexcr.2016.03.023. Epub 2016 Mar 28.
- Kawaguchi K, Suzuki E, Yamaguchi A, Yamamoto M, Morita S, Toi M. Altered expression of major immune regulatory molecules in peripheral blood immune cells associated with breast cancer. Breast Cancer. 2016 Mar 4. [Epub ahead of print.]
Breast SurgeryProfessor： Masakazu Toi
Associate Professor： Fumiaki Sato
Assistant Professor： Megumi Takeuchi
Assistant Professor： Eiji Suzuki
Assistant Professor： Masahiro Takada
Assistant Professor： Nobuko Kawaguchi
Program-Specific Assistant Professor： Masae Torii
Program-Specific Assistant Professor： Sumiaki Matsumoto
Program-Specific Assistant Professor： Jyunji Ito
Clinical Fellow： Eriko Manabe
Clinical Fellow： Eri Hohokabe
Clinical Fellow： Yuki Okada
Clinical Fellow： Kei Ishii
Clinical Fellow： Yurie Komi
Doctor： Itsumi Yoshikawa